Updated: 40+ Songs for Stage and Show Auditions
Do you want to try out for a talent show like the X-FACTOR or AMERICAN IDOL? Are you preparing for a musical theater audition or just want to sing on stage? Musicnotes is here to help! We’ve explored our digital sheet music files and consulted with auditioners and fellow auditionees to offer you suggestions for songs that we think you’ll love.
One song in particular that you might want to consider practicing is “The 60 Second Audition.” This song was written specifically to highlight a vocalist’s ability performing different musical styles and techniques within sixty seconds, and you may transpose the key after purchasing to fit your vocal range.
If you’re not sure what your vocal range is or how our Singer Pro arrangements differ from other sheet music selections, we invite you to read our post about Deciphering Singer Pro Sheet Music and Finding Your Vocal Range.
15+ Songs for Female Lead Vocalists
For soprano and alto singers, you might want to consider one of these fifteen songs. (Note: recently updated with 8 additional Broadway selections!) We’ve pulled together some song titles from Broadway shows and a variety of popular musical styles for you to consider for your next audition.
- “Not a Day Goes By” from ‘Merrily We Roll Along’
- “Someone Else’s Story” from ‘Chess’
- “My Man” from ‘Funny Girl’
- “Come To Your Senses” from ‘tick, tick… BOOM!’
- “Losing My Mind” from ‘Follies’
- “When I Look At You” from ‘The Scarlet Pimpernel’
- “Home” from ‘The Wiz’
- ” Over the Rainbow” from ‘The Wizard of Oz’
- “Defying Gravity” from ‘Wicked’
- “Alto’s Lament” by Zina Goldrich
- “I Dreamed a Dream” from ‘Les Miserables
- “Good Morning Baltimore” from ‘Hairspray’
- “I Will Survive” by Dino Fekaris
- “Alone” by Heart
- “The Greatest Love of All” by Whitney Houston
- “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera
- “Fever” by Peggy Lee
- “I’ll Stand By You” by Carrie Underwood
- “Hero” by Mariah Carey
- “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys
- “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree” by KT Tunstall
- “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” by Roberta Flack
15+ Songs for Male Lead Vocalists
If you sing in the tenor or bass vocal range, we invite you to take a look at these song titles for your next audition. From Broadway to popular love songs, we’ve selected fifteen songs we think will work well on stage. (Note: Recently updated with 4 additional Broadway suggestions!)
- “Make Them Hear You” from ‘Ragtime’
- “Giants In the Sky” from ‘Into the Woods’
- “Pity the Child” from ‘Chess’
- “All That’s Known” from ‘Spring Awakening’
- “Summertime” from ‘Porgy and Bess’
- “The Music Of The Night” from ‘The Phantom of the Opera’
- “You Raise Me Up” by Josh Groban
- “Fly Me to the Moon” by Frank Sinatra
- “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King
- “Imagine” by John Lennon
- “What’s Going On” by Marvin Gaye
- “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson
- “Hallelujah” by Rufus Wainwright
- “You Give Love a Bad Name” by Bon Jovi
- “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder
- “Georgia on My Mind” by Ray Charles
- “Bless the Broken Road” by Rascal Flatts
- “The Way You Look Tonight” by Tony Bennett
- “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Simon & Garfunkel
10 Classical Pieces for Singers
If you prefer to sing opera or songs by classical composers, then we think you’ll really enjoy this list of ten songs. Each of the following Singer Pro arrangements is part of our Musicnotes Editions catalog, meaning your purchase of the piece includes additional benefits.
- “Aria “Bist Du Bei Mir” Composed by Bach
- “Zion hort die Wachter Singen” from ‘Sleepers, Awake!’ Composed by Bach
- “Habanera (from Carmen)” Composed by Bizet
- “Wiegenlied ‘Cradle Song’ (Brahms’ Lullaby) Opus 49, No. 4” Composed by Brahms
- “Caro Mio Ben (Thou, all my bliss) Arietta” Composed by Giordani
- “Voi, Che Sapete (from Le Nozze di Figaro)” Composed by Mozart
- “Nessun Dorma (from Turnadot)” Composed by Puccini
- “O Mio Babbino Caro (from Gianni Schicchi)” Composed by Puccini
- “Wandrers Nachtlied II, Opus 96 No 3” Composed by Schubert
- “Ach, ich darf nicht hin zu dir (From Die Fledermaus)” Composed by Strauss
- “Brindisi (Libiamo Ne’ Lieti Calici) from La Traviata” Composed by Verdi
About Musicnotes Editions
Our Musicnotes Editions are the best digital sheet music value your money can buy. Each professional arrangement offers you unlimited print capabilities of your sheet music as well as performance and/or recording rights for your piece!
Are you a singer who wants to help your fellow Musicnotes performers? Feel free to recommend a song in the comments below!
02/06/2014 Update: Keep Your Suggestions Coming!
In response to the great comments and response this post has received, we’ve recently added a few more Broadway selections to our suggestions above. And we’d appreciate YOUR input to provide more vocal audition resources for fellow Musicnotes Blog readers in the future.
Do you have a ‘lucky’ audition piece that you especially enjoy using? Is there a lesser-known show that has numbers well-suited to auditioning? Are there any audition songs or vocal exercises that our list should include in the future? Please comment below!