Need a musical piece for your school or college tryout? Searching for a number suited to the part you’re looking to land? Musicnotes is back to help with 40 MORE songs to prepare for musical theater auditions. Following up on our popular “40+ Songs for Stage and Show Auditions” post, we’ve again consulted with multiple auditioners who’ve worked on professional productions of all sizes to bring you this extensive list of 40 great (think: not overused) audition pieces for the stage. What’s more, we’ve selected these works from 40 different shows, meaning even if one doesn’t seem like quite the right fit, you can explore a bit further to find the song that will get you the part!
Some of the suggestions below are lesser-known audition numbers from well-known shows, while others are gems from more obscure productions. We’ve also tried to compile an assortment of ranges and moods, ensuring you’ll find the perfect audition piece to fit your tryout. Additionally, many of the following sheet music arrangements offer key transposition after purchase. Look for a scoring of Piano/Vocal/Chords Singer Pro, and find our more about of Singer Pro sheet music here.
The most important task, other than finding a great audition song, is to be prepared for your audition. Be sure it’s a song you love that highlights your fantastic talents, and the rest will fall into place. So, presenting to you without further ado, 40 songs for stage auditions.
15 Audition Songs for Female Lead Vocalists
For contralto to soprano vocalists, we’ve gathered songs from a wide variety of shows. Simply click the song title to see the sheet music! We’ve also included a link to a video of the song being performed. Consider the following for your next audition:
- Not for the Life of Me from ‘Thoroughly Modern Millie’ (see video)
- Applause from ‘Applause’ (see video)
- Green Finch and Linnet Bird from ‘Sweeny Todd’ (see video)
- A Trip to the Library from ‘She Loves Me’ (see video)
- Some People from ‘Gypsy’ (see video)
- I Hate Men from ‘Kiss Me Kate’ (see video)
- Don’t Wanna Be Here from ‘Ordinary Days’ (see video)
- Screw Loose from ‘Cry Baby’ (see video)
- Follow Your Heart from ‘Urinetown’ (see video)
- Glitter and Be Gay from ‘Candide’ (see video)
- Say the Word from ‘The Unauthorized Autobiography of Samantha Brown’ (see video)
- Astonishing from ‘Little Women’ (see video)
- Falling in Love With Love from ‘The Boys from Syracuse’ (see video)
- Patterns from ‘Baby’ (see video)
- Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man from ‘Show Boat’ (see video)
15 Audition Songs for Male Lead Vocalists
Explore this outstanding variety of sheet music from 15 different shows that make great audition pieces for tenor, baritone and bass voices. Again, the song title links to the sheet music and the we’ve added a video link (when available) for your convenience.
- Suppertime from ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ (see video)
- Stupid Things I Won’t Do from ‘The Royal Family of Broadway’ (see video)
- You’ve Got That Thing from ‘Fifty Million Frenchmen’ (hear recording)
- Moving Too Fast from ‘The Last Five Years’ (see video)
- Grand Knowing You from ‘She Loves Me’ (see video)
- Falcon In the Dive from ‘The Scarlet Pimpernel’ (see video)
- If You Can Find Me, I’m Here from ‘Evening Primrose’ (see video)
- I’ll Be Here from ‘The Wild Party’ (see video)
- I’d Rather be Sailing from ‘A New Brain’ (see video)
- Two Strangers from ‘Tales from the Bad Years’ (see video)
- They Call the Wind Maria from ‘Paint Your Wagon’ (see video)
- I Want to Make Magic from ‘Fame’ (see video)
- I’d Give It All for You from ‘Songs for a New World’ (see video)
- The Impossible Dream from ‘Man of La Mancha’ (see video)
- Roll of a Lifetime from ‘Bare: A Pop Opera’ (see video)
10 Audition Songs for Kids and Teens
Need great audition songs for younger performers? This list is appropriate for all ages, and includes auditions for girls and boys. Take a look at the video link for inspiration, and click the song title to download the sheet music instantly.
- The Spark of Creation from ‘Children of Eden’ (see video)
- Once Upon a Dream from ‘Jekyll & Hyde’ (see video)
- ‘Till There Was You from ‘The Music Man’ (see video)
- Show Me from ‘My Fair Lady’ (see video)
- Home from ‘Beauty and the Beast’ (see video)
- Oh, the Thinks You Can Think from ‘Seussical the Musical’ (see video)
- If I Were a Rich Man from ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ (see video)
- One More Angel in Heaven from ‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’ (see video)
- Happiness from ‘You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown’ (see video)
- I Am a Pirate King from ‘The Pirates of Penzance’ (see video)
Are you looking for a particular song not on this list? Chances are the sheet music is available at Musicnotes.com. You’ll find the absolute largest selection of officially licensed, downloadable audition sheet music, including pieces from off-broadway shows, brand-new shows and all the classics you’ll enjoy singing again and again. Shop our Broadway Sheet Music Store, to find your next showstopper today!
We’d Love to Hear from You
Do you have a ‘lucky’ audition piece that you especially enjoy using? Is there another lesser-known show that contains numbers well-suited to auditioning? Please share your expertise with fellow readers in the comments below!