We recently sent out our picks for the Musicnotes choral “Christmas Top 23,” to our choral email subscribers, and I thought I’d tell you a little about some of the pieces on the list. (Psst… If you’re not on our mailing list yet, be sure to sign up!) I’m especially excited to share the news that we have a Musicnotes exclusive:
- the red-hot Pentatonix a cappella version of “Mary, Did You Know?”, in a beautiful and faithful transcription/edition by renowned arranger Paul Langford
If you’re young, young at heart, or a conductor of an ensemble with young people, this is sure to enliven your holiday season!
For 2-part choirs, we are highlighting three pieces:
- “Winter Canon” based on the famous canon by Thomas Tallis, including a sweet reference to Holst’s “In The Bleak Midwinter,” with lyrics and musical setting by Andy Beck;
- For complete contrast, Beck’s heavy-swing, Eartha-Kitt-inspired “Shoulda Been a North Pole Elf” is cute and funny.
- We also feature the traditional spiritual “Mary Had A Baby,” in a skillful 2-part setting with piano, arranged by Franklin Kinsman. It’s a timeless setting that’s been popular for decades.
For treble ensemble (SSA, and SSAA), we are featuring songs from a variety of traditions:
- Mel Torme’s classic hit, “The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire),” arranged SSAA a cappella by Kirby Shaw;
- The song by Point of Grace, “Not That Far from Bethlehem,” set for SSA + piano by Audrey Snyder;
- Audrey’s version for SSA + piano of the Gene Autry hit, “Here Comes Santa Claus.”
Men’s choirs can have fun with these:
- “The Christmas Song” in a wonderful TTTBBB a cappella version made famous by the Blenders;
- And “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree,” arranged TTBB a cappella by Kirby Shaw.
SATB choirs have a wide variety of choices that we’re featuring here. Or, click here to see all of the featured pieces.
- Make it a joyous Christmas with Handel’s “And the Glory of the Lord” (SATB + piano) from Messiah;
- Make your mark with the gospel version of Handel – “Hallelujah” (Chorus) from Messiah: A Soulful Celebration, with a fantastic piano part;
- Gladden your audiences’ hearts with “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” arranged by Mark Hayes;
- Liven up your program with the masterful arrangement of “African Noel” by André J. Thomas (SATB a cappella);
- And give your singers and audiences a calming, lush arrangement of “The First Noel / Pachelbel’s Canon” by Michael Clawson.
Most of our Christmas Top 24 are available in multiple voicings at www.musicnotes.com, so take some time to look around. There’s much more to browse—get thyself to our site and shop away!
Don’t hesitate to be in touch with our awesome customer service department if you are looking for something you’re not finding or need any other assistance. We’re here to help.
Merry Christmas to you and yours, and thanks for shopping at Musicnotes.
Warmest holiday wishes,
Director of Choral Catalog
[divider type=”thin” spacing=”10″]
Jonathan’s Complete Top 23 Choral Sheet Music Picks for 2014’s Holiday Season:
1. Mary, Did You Know? by Pentatonix, arr. by Paul Langford, SATB A Cappella
2. Messiah, No. 4: And The Glory of the Lord, from Handel’s Messiah, SATB + Piano
3. Shoulda Been A North Pole Elf by Andy Beck, 2-Part Choir + Piano
4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Mark Hayes, SATB + Piano
5. African Noel by André J. Thomas, SATB A Cappella
6. Hallelujah! from ‘Messiah: A Soulful Celebration,’ SATB + Piano
7. Grown-Up Christmas List by Mark Hayes, SATB + Piano
8. The First Noel / Pachelbel’s Canon by Michael Clawson, SATB + Piano
9. The Little Drummer Boy / Peace on Earth by Jay Althouse, SATB + Piano
10. Who Will Go To Bethlehem? by Jay Rouse SATB + piano
11. Jingle Bells by Barbra Streisand, arr. by Mark Hayes, SATB + Piano
12. How Like A Winter by Ruth Morris Gray, SAB + Piano
13. Winter Canon by Andy Beck, 2-Part Choir + Piano
14. O Magnum Mysterium by Morten Lauridsen, SATB A Cappella
15. Sweet Little Jesus Boy by Natalie Grant, arr. by Robert MacGimsey, SATB A Cappella
16. Here Comes Santa Claus by Gene Autry, arr. by Audrey Snyder, SSA + Piano
17. Not That Far from Bethlehem by Point of Grace, arr. by Audrey Snyder, SSA + Piano
18. It’s Beginning to Look Like Christmas by Meredith Willson, arr. by Mac Huff, SATB + Piano
19. Mary Had a Baby, arr. by Franklin/Kinsman, SA + Piano
20. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree by Kirby Shaw, TTBB A Cappella
21. Go Tell It On the Mountain by Chicago Children’s Choir, arr. by Greg Jasperse, SATB + Piano
22. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) by Kirby Shaw, SSAA A Cappella
23. The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on a n Open Fire) by The Blenders, TTTBBB A Cappella